[Soph] SOPH@News: The Junior Year Experience

Soph header.jpg

It has been a busy year and your son/daughter has grown in many ways—academically, personally, professionally, and spiritually. Some sophomores may find the end of the year to be hectic and demanding, while others may feel comfortable and ready for summer. Either way, the Class of 2015 is ready to assume the role of Junior as they move into the second half of their college career! We hope you enjoy this last edition of Soph@News...

FEATURED: The Junior Year Experience

Soph@News takes a look at what’s in store next year for the Class of 2015…

à  Leadership Opportunities

Halfway through their college career, juniors will have the experience needed to begin moving into leadership positions on campus. Whether it is in their clubs, organizations, teams, or societies, the Class of 2015 will emerge as the next student leaders at Villanova. Running for an elected position in an organization, applying to be a chairperson for a club, tutoring underclassman in the same major, or becoming a peer-advisor for fellow students are all possible for the new upperclassmen. There are many great opportunities ahead for juniors to gain valuable leadership experience that will take them far in their personal and professional careers.

Words from the wise:

"Junior year is a fantastic time to expand your involvement in clubs, organizations or teams by taking on leadership positions on campus. It’s a great way to further explore your passions and get yourself more involved in the Villanova community." -Kate Florio, Junior, Biology Major, Drexel Hill, PA

à  Junior Living

Next year, most of the Class of 2015 will transition from living in the residence halls to living in the West Campus Apartments. The junior apartments provide the unique opportunity for students to continue their transition towards independence; juniors will be able to cook, clean, and decorate their own apartment along with their three roommates.

The apartments are still considered “on-campus housing” and have resident assistants (RAs) just like in the traditional residence halls. However, juniors living in the apartments will be presented with a lifestyle change that will be similar to living independently. While juniors will not be responsible for utilities or working with landlords, they will be in charge of cleaning their kitchens and maintaining their common living areas as well.  The apartments are a unique community which will certainly enhance their college experience and prepare them to live on their own in the future.

Some juniors move off campus and face similar adjustments in learning to live in an apartment or house. Other juniors are on campus but continue to live in a residence hall. These juniors enjoy living in community with all of the amenities of being on-campus.

Words from the wise:

"Junior year represents an exciting transition period for student life. Living on west campus gives students the opportunity to live with even more friends and yet take on the additional responsibility offered by apartment style dorms. Access to a kitchen provides greater freedom and yet dining on campus is still only a walk away. My experience in the apartments has prepared me for life off campus by fostering independence and providing me with a year of unforgettable memories."-Alyssa Burke, Junior, Communication Major, Dix Hills, NY

à Study Abroad

If your son or daughter is planning on studying abroad, junior year is the most popular time to do it! Due to the convenience of the junior year course curriculum, living arrangements, and overall timing in their college career, junior year is a great time to take advantage of the once in a lifetime opportunity to study overseas.  For more information on study abroad opportunities, click HERE.

Words from the wise:

“Studying abroad in Spain my first semester junior year was one of my most challenging and enlightening semesters. I gained a global perspective by immersing myself in another culture while acting as an ambassador of Villanova. I would encourage everyone to study abroad if possible. Junior year is a great time to do so because it is a halfway point where you have gained two years of experience that has prepared you for the opportunity to go abroad. Then, when you return home, you still have the rest of your time at Villanova to live out the new perspectives you gained while away.” -Cassandra Tumolo, Junior, Psychology & Spanish Major, Chadds Ford, PA

à Thinking Ahead

It’s hard to imagine that your son/daughter is already half way through their college career, but graduation will be here sooner than you think.  Junior year marks a time when the Class of 2015 will start to think about plans for life after Villanova. Whether it’s an advanced degree in law, medicine, or another graduate field, a year of service, or employment, juniors will begin imagining the opportunities that lay ahead. The good news is they probably do not need to set any plans in motion until senior year; junior year is the perfect opportunity simply to think about where they are headed. With a proactive mindset, juniors can begin thinking about which path towards success they will travel. Many students pursue internships and similar opportunities to explore their interests. Both the Career Center and individual college advising offices can be helpful.

Words from the wise:

“Junior year is definitely a challenging year, but an exciting one as well. My one piece of advice would be to keep up the hard work and continually look for different opportunities to experience new things: participating in some sort of new organization, going on a retreat, doing service. Check out the Career Center (if you haven't already) to get some advice on what you're next steps should be.”   -Alex Cornell, Junior, Mechanical Engineering Major, Jacksonville, FL

We hope you enjoyed reading Soph@News and staying connected to the Class of 2015.

Your feedback is valuable to us! If you have any questions or comments,

please contact us at parents@villanova.edu.

Good luck as your son/daughter embarks on his/her junior year, and

from all of us in Student Life…..

Have A Wonderful Summer!