[Soph] Soph@News: Happy Thanksgiving!

Soph header.jpg

Welcome to a Special THANKSGIVING Edition of Soph@News!

WHAT’S HAPPENING…

Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week - Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week (HHAW) originated at Villanova University in 1975 under the guidance of the late Father Ray Jackson, OSA. HHAW began when a group of Villanova students, recognizing the power education could play in the fight against homelessness, decided to coordinate a week of activities around the issues. In the years since, the week has expanded beyond Villanova to more than 500 campuses and communities, becoming the most widely organized hunger and homelessness event of its type in the nation. Villanova recognized 2011 HHAW from Nov. 13-18, which included food and clothing drives, a solidarity sleep out, and a keynote address by Sister Mary Scullion, Co-Founder of Project HOME.

Villanova University Ranked Among Nation’s “Best Values in Private Colleges” - Kiplinger’s Personal Finance has published its “Best Value in Private Colleges” list, ranking the top private universities and private liberal arts colleges in the U.S. that combine outstanding education with economic value. Villanova earned the #31 ranking among private universities for the second consecutive year.

Villanova Men and Women Win BIG EAST Cross Country Championships - Both the Villanova men’s and women’s cross country teams won BIG EAST titles on Saturday at the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Cross Country Championships in Louisville, KY. For the Villanova women, it was the team’s fourth consecutive BIG EAST title and a record 14th conference championship for the program. For the men, it was the Wildcats’ first conference title since 2002 and the fourth in the program’s history.  The last time the Villanova men and women swept the BIG EAST Conference Cross Country titles was 1993.

SOPHOMORES GIVE THANKS…

Soph@News asked Villanova sophomores what they are thankful for during this season of Thanksgiving…

"I am thankful for all the different opportunities Villanova gives me to meet new people and create life-long friendships." - Samantha Goff, Orange County, CA, Nursing Major

“I am thankful for being able to wake up each morning and have friends who care about me, parents who love me, and teachers who continue to fill my head with knowledge.” – OJ Ighodaro, Piscataway, NJ, Computer Science Major

"I am thankful for the experiences Villanova has to offer me as an aspiring nurse." - Emily Malzone, White House Station, NJ, Nursing Major

“I am thankful for my Grandma’s apple pie. It’s the thing I’m most looking forward to on Thanksgiving!”  - Ryan Amspacher, Morris Plains, NJ, Biology Major

"I am thankful for the caring Villanova faculty who are always willing to help." -Stephanie Myers, Frisco, TX, Political Science Major

“I am thankful for my family who always supports me in the decisions I make and keeps encouraging me every step of the way.”  - Cassandra Tumolo, Chadds Ford, PA, Psychology Major

“I am thankful for the great opportunity I have at Villanova to better myself as an overall person.” - Daniel Gonzalez, Dallas, TX, Undecided

“I am thankful for attending the number seven ranked business school in the nation which will prepare me for my future endeavors”. - Tommy Adewole, Ashton, MD, Undecided Business

“I am thankful for home cooked meals. Don’t get me wrong, Nova’s food is great, but there is nothing like the food at home!” – Luke Petersen, Mahopac, NY, Nursing Major

“As an athlete, I am thankful for the support of the student body, faculty, and local fans who make the experience worthwhile.” - William Cason, Chesapeake, VA, Economics Major

CAN’T MISS OPPORTUNITIES…

Opportunities from the Office of Learning Support - Finals are right around the corner, and if students are thinking about forming a study group or want other tips on study skills, they can check out the Office of Learning Support’s new Study Group Handbook. The handbook is available in pdf format on the Learning Support Services website, in addition to many other tips, workshops, and strategies for effective exam preparation. http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/learningsupport/strategies.html

Winter Break Alumni Job Shadow Opportunity - Is your sophomore looking for career advice and contacts in Boston, Chicago, DC, or Manhattan? Students can apply for this unique program and spend a half day with a Villanova alum at work. The program takes place during the week of January 9th and also features a reception the night before. Since our alumni work in many industries and organizations, all students are encouraged to participate. Students can get more information from the University’s Career Center and apply through GoNOVA.

Merry Christmas Villanova Week - The Campus Activities Team will kick-off Merry Christmas Villanova Week (Nov. 28th-Dec.3rd) to get the entire Villanova Community into the Holiday Spirit! The Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony, Gingerbread House Party, the Holiday Bazaar, and trips to New York City’s Rockefeller Plaza are just some of the planned events!  Students can get more information from the Campus Activities Team website, and can purchase tickets at www.villanovatix.com.

From all of us in Student Life…..

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2014.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words: “subscribe soph”.  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words:“unsubscribe soph”.

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.