[Soph] SOPH@NEWS: The Sophomore Career Plan

Soph header.jpg

Welcome to Soph@News, Villanova's e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the Class of 2014. Over the year we will send you occasional postings about activities and news at the University so you can stay connected and informed about your student’s second year experience.

WHAT’S HAPPENING…

Villanova ranked #1! - Villanova University has again earned #1 placement in the Regional University–North category in U.S. News & World Report’s annual “America’s Best Colleges” rankings, which hit newsstands on Sept. 20. Villanova has held this top spot for nearly two decades.

St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration – Villanova hosted its annual celebration honoring the patron saint of the University with a weekend of special events on September 23-25, 2011. The celebration was highlighted by the Day of Service on Saturday, September 24th where hundreds of sophomores were up bright and early to spend the day serving in the local community. Students served at over 170 different sites in the Philadelphia area, with a total of more than 4000 volunteers from the Villanova community.

Career Fair – On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 Villanova students met with over 135 employers and organizations at the annual Fall Career Fair in The Pavilion. It was a great opportunity for sophomores to get a head start on their summer internship search or to polish up their networking skills. Sophomores in the market for career experience should check out Villanova’s Career Center and their many resources and events. See the Featured section below for some of the Career Center’s helpful hints designed for sophomores.

Homecoming Weekend – Hundreds of alumni will be returning to campus on October 21-22 as the Villanova community celebrates Homecoming Weekend! Various events including the Homecoming football game against Old Dominion on Saturday, October 22, will allow sophomores to network with alumni and see that the Villanova experience extends well beyond a student’s four years here. Also, on Friday, October 21 in the Pavilion, the Nova Nation will kick-off its basketball season with one of the most talked about events of the year: Hoops Mania! This exciting pep rally and scrimmage will feature the players, coaches, and surprise celebrity guests as ‘Nova basketball fans show off their school spirit and get pumped up for a great season.

FEATURED: The Sophomore Year Plan…

Sophomore year is a pivotal time in your student’s college career where they must begin thinking about career/future plans as they approach the half-way point at Villanova. The University’s Career Center is here to help with some pointers on what your student’s plan should include…

MASTERING THE EXPERIENCE AT ‘NOVA:

·        Select or reevaluate your major – Sophomore year is the time to select and commit to an academic major. It’s also a good time for your student to change majors if the one he/she already declared isn’t working out. Your student’s academic advisor and the Career Center’s counselors are great resources to help your sophomore make any and all decisions regarding their academic major.

·        Consider a minor or concentration – Dozens of minors and concentrations are available to round-out your student’s educational experience. Sophomores should select minors based on their interest and also relevance to their future plans. Academic advisors and career counselors are here to help students with these decisions as well.

·        Attend events on and off campus – Villanova provides dozens of events, workshops, sessions and recruiting opportunities right here on campus that students can take advantage of to help them prepare for their future. The surrounding Philadelphia area is also full of opportunities to further learn and build career connections. Students should stay on the look-out for networking opportunities and information sessions off campus that can provide relevant experiences to give them a cutting edge.

·        Maintain/build involvement on campus – A student’s second year is a great time to further their involvement on campus. Sophomores will begin assuming leadership positions within their organizations, but it’s also not too late for a student to just start out getting involved on campus. Maintaining and building campus involvement will allow your student to explore his/her interests, and of course, be a great addition to a resume!

EXPLORING OPPORTUNITIES:

·        Attend career fairs and programs – Meeting companies and organizations is an easy way for your student to get a sense of where their interests lie and what the job market looks like. Career fairs and other programs are also opportunities for your student to land those important summer internships. Villanova offers multiple career fairs and career-related programs throughout the year right on campus.

·        Register with GoNova GoNova is Villanova’s online career database where employers interested in Villanova students post their job and internship opportunities. Sophomores can register for GoNova and begin to explore and utilize the system. Students can register on the Career Center’s website, and can also meet with a Career Counselor to learn more.

·        Write a resume It’s recommended that sophomores start putting together their professional resume if they have yet to do so. The Career Center offers weekly resume writing workshops, and career counselors are always available to help students turn their resume into a winner.

·        Meet with a Career Counselor – The Career Center’s trained career counselors are excellent resources for your sophomore to get help with selecting their major, gain insight on career/future plans, and to learn about resumes, networking, and interviewing. Sophomores can take advantage of this resource by simply scheduling an appointment with the Career Center, and can meet with career counselors as many times as needed. Sophomores can also choose to meet with one of the Center’s career assistants, upperclassmen trained in resume writing who all are ready and willing to help their fellow students with career-related advice.

·        Research other opportunities – Future plans can be overwhelming. Sophomores have the advantage of time on their side and can get ahead by starting to research any opportunities that might be of interest. These include careers, graduate school, service opportunities, and more. Career counselors are able to help answer questions about opportunities available after graduation.

Villanova’s Career Center is located on-campus in Garey Hall. All services are free for students. To learn more visit www.careers.villanova.edu.

SOPHOMORE SAYS…

Soph@News interviewed a few sophomores to see how their second year is going so far….

How has this year as a sophomore been different than your freshman year?,

My sophomore year is extremely different than my freshman year, particularly with all of the added responsibilities and tougher classes. However, I definitely love my busier schedule and all the new people I have gotten to meet, including some new best friends! – Ashley Peterson, Galloway, NJ, Biochemistry Major

What are you most looking forward to for the rest of your sophomore year?

I am most looking forward to getting to know who "me" really is. Personally, I believe that college is the perfect time to try to discover who you are. Freshmen year was a little hectic, so I'm hoping that I can get into a groove and figure out who I am as a person. – OJ Ighodaro, Piscataway, NJ, Computer Science & Psychology Major

How do you feel about being close to the half-way point of your college career?

Getting close to the halfway point of college definitely makes me feel both nervous and excited. Nervous to graduate and start my life in the real world; but excited to have accomplished one of the biggest milestones of my life! – Cassandra Tumolo, Chadds Ford, PA, Psychology Major, Spanish Minor

What is your biggest worry or concern about your sophomore year?

I think I’m most worried about the increased workload compared with freshman year. The classes are much more demanding and the curriculum is more intense. Making sure I stay organized while refining my study skills is something that I am much more focused on this year. – Luke Petersen, Mahopac, NY, Nursing Major

CAN’T MISS OPPORTUNITIES…

Fall Break Airport Shuttle – Is your sophomore flying home for fall break? They should take advantage of the airport shuttle provided by the Villanova Student Government Association. The shuttle will take students from campus to the Philadelphia International Airport on Friday, October 7, and from the airport back to campus on Sunday, October 16. A roundtrip ticket costs $20. Your student should visit the Student Development Office in 214 Dougherty Hall for more information and to purchase a ticket.

At The HalfAt The Half is a 3-day, 2-night FREE leadership and team building experience for Sophomores that will focus on developing leadership skills, building community, and growing personally and professionally. The get-away is at the beautiful NorthBay Adventure facility located on the Chesapeake, and will include energizing activities and workshops to help students reflect on interests, experiences, values, and passions as they relate to college and their future. At The Half will be held from Friday, October 28 to Sunday, October 30, 2011. Transportation and meals are provided. Students can register at the Student Development Office in 214 Dougherty Hall, or online at http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/studentlife/lifeatvu/half.html

Villanova vs. Delaware Football at PPL ParkThe annual Battle of the Blue game between Villanova and the University of Delaware will be held at PPL Park, home to Philadelphia’s Professional Soccer Team, the Philadelphia Union! The game kicks-off on November 19th at 3:30pm. Students can get tickets through the athletics ticket office. Tickets for the general public can be purchased at ComcastTix.com.

STAY TUNED…

As the mid-semester mark approaches, not only is fall break on the horizon, but so is spring semester course registration! Stay tuned for the next edition of Soph@News where we will explore the details of course registration, and what you and your sophomore need to know about selecting classes for their second semester sophomore year!

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2014.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words: “subscribe soph”.  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words:“unsubscribe soph”.

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.