[Fresh] Fresh@news: Family Weekend!

Our interview today is with JJ Brown, Director of Villanova’s Office of Student Involvement.  One of his many responsibilities is supervising Family Weekend, which is always a fun weekend for all!

**For an up-to-date schedule, please download our free app, Villanova University Guides.  If you had downloaded this app to use during Orientation, you will not have to download it again, but will now have Family Weekend guide available. Instructions are listed at the end of this newsletter.

Fresh@News: We are all excited that Family Weekend is just a few weeks away! Can you tell us a little about the weekend?

J.J. Brown: Family Weekend will take place on September 15 – 17. This is a great opportunity for family and friends to visit the campus and to learn about the Villanova Community.

Fresh@News: For most of our readers, this will be their first Villanova Family Weekend.  And, for many, it will be the first time they have seen their son or daughter since they said goodbye at New Student Orientation.  Can you tell us a little bit of what to expect?

J.J. Brown: The first thing to say is: be ready for anything!  There are as many different experiences as there are students.  Some families will be amazed by the changes and growth they have seen even in a few weeks.  Many of our resident freshman are already saying “I’m going home now” when they mean that they are returning to their residence hall.  Some already have a dozen new best friends, have joined some activities, have successfully navigated the first few weeks of classes, and are slowing discovering more about themselves.  At the same time, some of the students are still finding their way, and may be struggling with not having made the kind of social connections they were hoping for in the first few weeks.  Your son or daughter may be feeling homesick, overwhelmed by their courses, or still trying to figure out their relationship with a roommate.  The only advice I can give you is that it is all fairly normal right now.  So be prepared to expect a lot of changes in any direction over the next few weeks!

Fresh@News: Is there a lot happening on campus for families and students throughout Family Weekend?

J.J. Brown: I think our visitors will have a great time.  One of the things we try to do on this weekend is to showcase our students' talents.  From athletic events to the Family Weekend Information Sessions to the Music Activities Showcase, you will see that the Villanova community has a wealth of talent among its faculty, staff and most importantly, its students.

Fresh@News: What events would you recommend to families of new students?

J.J. Brown: The weekend is designed so family members can pick and choose from a variety of receptions, lectures, and events. The Information Sessions offer a number of workshops where family members can meet campus administrators and faculty members to learn about relevant issues that face Villanova students. Topics include: options to study abroad, connecting with the Career Center, and information about living off campus and a very general overview of upperclassmen on-campus options for 2019-2020! Please check out the website for more details on these programs.

Fresh@News: Who can attend Family Weekend?

J.J. Brown: We invite all family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents and siblings) to participate in the weekend.

Fresh@News: What types of events are going on that you think other family members would be interested in attending?

J.J. Brown: On Friday night, we will be hosting Nova Nights - Family Style!  We’ve decided to tailor this night’s entertainment to the whole family with free admission!  We will show an outdoor movie on South and Main Campuses (weather permitting!), there will be an A Capella Showcase and invite you to attend a dessert reception in the Connelly Center.

On Saturday evening, the day will wrap up with Lafayette vs. Villanova in the Villanova stadium. Before the game will be the Family Festival taking place on Sheehan and Austin Field from 3pm - until kickoff for the Villanova Football game.  The Family Festival will feature food, beer, wine, giveaways, and carnival entertainment. Complimentary popcorn, pretzels, and ice cream will be available. We recommended purchasing tickets in advance through www.Villanovatix.com, as there will be a limited number of tickets available at the door. Ticket options will be $15 per person for food and $35 for food and three beer/wine tickets. Kids under 12 are free.

Fresh@News: That sounds great. How do I get tickets for the Football game?

J.J. Brown: Football Tickets are available for purchase by visiting Villanova.com and clicking on the “Buy Tickets” link. As a reminder, student tickets are free with their wildcard.

Fresh@News: It sounds like the weekend is full of great events.

J.J. Brown: And I only mentioned a few, so make sure to check out the full schedule and click on each day to see all of the other things going on throughout the weekend. Some events require registration, so please don't miss out and register now! If you haven't received the brochure in the mail, you can access the schedule on our website or call our office at 610.519.4213.

Fresh@News: Do you have any words of wisdom for our families of first year students?

J.J. Brown: My best advice would be to try to experience as much of Villanova as you can, and to let your son or daughter show you the things that have become important to him or her. Also, remember to save a little time to just simply be with your son or daughter. They are still very much in a time of transition and it will be important for you to gauge their needs over the course of the weekend. Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy your time together!

Download the Free App for the Family Weekend Guide!

For up-to-date information about our program, including schedules, severe weather locations, maps and more, use the guide for Family Weekend!  Once you download the free app, you will have the details of the program in the palm of your hand.  We encourage you to “Accept Push Notifications” as this will pop up an alert on your phone if we need to make a last minute change due to weather.

Steps to download the free app to view the Family Weekend Guide:

1)    Go to the App Store

2)   Search “Villanova University Guides”

3)   Download and Enjoy!