[Fresh] Fresh@news: The Career Center

This week, Fresh@news has interviewed Nancy Dudak, Executive Director of Villanova’s Career Center, located in Garey Hall. Although you might think it is a little early in your student’s academic career to be thinking about using the Career Center, they are a great resource for students throughout all four years.

Fresh@News: What is one of the big challenges for those of you who work in The Career Center?

Nancy Dudak: The answer may surprise some our parents!  Our biggest problem is not so much helping our students get started in a career or a graduate program. A lot of the top employers in the country love our students, and many of our students leave us to go to outstanding graduate and professional programs. The biggest challenge that we face is undoing some of the misconceptions and preconceptions about careers that students bring with them when they first come to our office.

Fresh@News: What do you mean?

Nancy Dudak: Imagine this scene, repeated countless times, when any adult meets any college-age student. The adult says, "You are a college student? What is your major?" But, of course, what the adult is really saying is, "You are 18 years old, tell me what you will be doing for the rest of your life." If the student says, "I am studying accounting" or gives the name of any other field that is identical to a job the adult has heard of, the adult says, approvingly: "That's a great field." But if the student says, "I am majoring in English" the next remark is: "What are you going to do with that?" It gets even worse if the student says, "I haven't decided what to major in." Indeed, I can promise you that some of the students are dreading one aspect of going home for Spring Break, precisely because they know that every well-meaning aunt and uncle is going to have that same conversation. In fact, many of these same students who can't answer Aunt Myrtle's question are going to have outstanding careers, often in fields that don't even exist yet. What we see, in other words, is two huge fallacies. The first is that your major is your career, and the second is that you must know what your career is when you start college or you are wasting your time. But as most of our readers know, people today have many careers over their lives, and their undergraduate major is only part of their formation. In fact, almost all of our students go onto extremely successful fields. Over 60% of our students have their post-graduation plans firmed up by the time they graduate. Within six months after graduation almost all of the other students will be in a career or training program.

Fresh@News: Who gets hammered the hardest on this. I would guess it is Arts and Business students who haven't declared a major?

Nancy Dudak: Actually it works out differently for different students, but since most students in these colleges don't declare their major until sophomore year, the stress remains a little longer. All students including those in the pre-professional programs such as Nursing, Business, or Engineering face these pressures.

Fresh@News: Let's start with the Arts students.

Nancy Dudak: The problem for Arts students is not so much their employability; lots of them get amazing jobs. The challenge is for them to articulate the value of their degree to a potential employer. It isn't enough to say, "I am an English major" and to believe that the employer assumes a writing ability. Students need to be able to give concreteness and specificity to those experiences. They need to be able to say, I have great communication skills because I had an internship where I did the following projects, or I have great writing skills because I have done this kind of writing in these courses.

Fresh@News: Let's talk about the students in Nursing and Engineering.

Nancy Dudak:  If you want to be a nurse or an engineer, you should certainly go to the College of Nursing or the College of Engineering. But all too often we see students who are in those programs not because they are passionate about those fields but because they think they have to be in a pre-professional field to get a job. Those students often don't have a good experience.   Both nursing and engineering careers offer many opportunities outside of the stereotypical images and the colleges do a good job of exposing students to the possibilities.

Fresh@News: What about careers in business?

Nancy Dudak: Here again, there is a lot of confusion. Accountants, for example, are always highly employable, and a lot of students will major in accounting because they think it means they have a lock on a career for the rest of their lives. If they do well, they will have the security of having a job before they graduate. But accounting is really not for everyone. I see some accountants who come back to us after their first year saying, "I hate this field, can you help me change fields?" Finance is picking up again, and everyone thinks you need to be a Finance major to work on Wall Street. But in fact, the investment bankers are famous for hiring students from all majors, and they hire many Arts majors and engineers as well. Many business students find the sophomore classes of Financial Management & and Reporting, and Competitive Effectiveness helpful in their ultimate choice of major.

Fresh@News: A lot of the students seem to be going for double and triple majors. Does that give them a head start?

Nancy Dudak: One of the problems we see is that students think that having two or three majors and a stack of minors and concentrations will make them more employable. Then they feel that once they have every minute of their time accounted for in fulfilling requirements they can take a mental holiday. Not only can all of those requirements give them a false sense of security, it often prohibits them from taking some interesting electives later on, or fitting in study abroad and internships. We find that employers aren't interested in labels as much as they are in specific skills and passions. Employers are much more interested in a student who can connect a transcript with his or her passions and interests than they are in a student who has a lot of different majors and minors.

Fresh@News: So what should students do?

Nancy Dudak: The important thing is for students to find an area that they are highly interested in and do well in that area. Trust me, it is much easier for me to sell an English major with a 3.7 G.P.A., than it is to sell a finance or engineering major with a 2.2. Students should not panic if they don't have a clear idea about a career when they first arrive at Villanova. In some ways it is a great thing to keep the doors open for a while. Often career ideas will emerge from upper division courses, from the student's internship, from service projects, or from overseas study. Parents are always amazed how the apparently aimless freshman student emerges four years later with a goal, a plan, good contacts, and eventually a great first career.

Fresh@News: When should students come to your office?

Nancy Dudak: It depends on the questions students bring to us. We see many freshmen who are concerned about academic choices. Over 35% of freshmen are required to visit us and have resumes approved for a class requirement.  We also see many students who wait until sophomore or junior years as they start thinking about how to connect a major to possible careers, and to start looking for pre-professional experiences.  First year students (and parents) might start by exploring our website:  http://www.villanova.edu/vpaa/careers/

Fresh@News: What advice do you have for parents?

Nancy Dudak: Several things come to mind. The most important thing, of course, is to encourage your son or daughter to take challenging courses and to do well in them. Good grades keep the options open even if the choices aren't clear. It's discouraging to see a student who decides to go to professional school but doesn't have the grades to be competitive. Also, hold them accountable but please don't pressure your students to make premature decisions about careers and majors. It is much more important to help students find their passion, and that may take a little bit of time. Offer your insight with "clues" about what might turn into a career choice. If you haven't worn it out already you can always try this one: "You are always arguing with your father, you might be a good lawyer".  Help them to understand where they might fit in an organization. Here it is valuable for parents to talk more about their own work. It is amazing how little many students know about what their parents actually do on a day to day basis. They might know that mom works at Procter & Gamble, but what do the thousands of people who work at this large company really do? Relatives and family friends can be a wonderful resource. Sometimes the best way to proceed is to help students do some "informational interviews" with friends of the family who are in different fields. This is a good opportunity for students to learn to present themselves, and often those interviews may lead to a contact for a summer job. Encourage them to speak! Speaking is becoming a lost art since the explosion of technology. You don't even have to speak at the deli anymore, you order off of a keypad. Simple conversations with professionals are even more intimidating when they just don't have the practice. When a student is nervous about interviewing and networking, I always recommend that they speak to as many people as possible in the week before the event. And, as always, give them support but, as I said earlier, don't put too much pressure on them for premature decisions and career choices.

2016 Infiniti Coaches’ Charity Challenge: Help Men’s Basketball Coach Jay Wright, and his designated charity--The Augustinian Fund--Advance to the Next Round!

Coach Wright and the Augustinian Fund have advanced to the third round of the 2016 Infiniti Coaches’ Challenge, earning $10,000 for the charity. The true challenge begins now as the field of 16 coaches/charities will be reduced to 4. Third round voting ends on February 28th at 11:59am EST. We need to get the entire Nova Nation out in full force voting for Coach Wright and Augustinian Fund!

***Click To Vote - ESPN.com/Infiniti

General Information about the Coaches’ Charity Challenge: http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/infiniti/2016/index?next=rules