From: Parents
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 1:28 PM
Subject: FRESH@News: Parents Weekend!

Welcome to Fresh@News, Villanova's e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the Class of 2019. Over the year we will be sending you
occasional postings about activities at Villanova University that relate the class community. Instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe

from this service are given at the end of this posting.

Our interview today is with Jeffrey(J.J.) Brown, Director of Villanova’s Office of Student Involvement.  One of his many responsibilities is supervising Parents Weekend.

Fresh@News: We are all excited that Parents Weekend is just a few weeks away! Can you tell us a little about the weekend?

J.J. Brown: Parents Weekend will take place on September 18 – 20. This is a great opportunity for family and friends to visit the campus and to learn about the Villanova Community.

Fresh@News: For most of our readers, this will be their first Villanova Parents Weekend.  And, for many, it will be the first time they have seen their son or daughter since they said goodbye at New Student Orientation.  Can you tell us a little bit of what to expect?

J.J. Brown: The first thing to say is: be ready for anything!  There are as many different experiences as there are students.  Some parents will be amazed by the changes and growth they have seen even in a few weeks.  Many of our resident freshman are already saying “I’m going home now” when they mean that they are returning to their residence hall.  Some already have a dozen new best friends, have joined some activities, have successfully navigated the first few weeks of classes, and are slowly discovering more about themselves.  At the same time, some of the students are still finding their way, and may be struggling with not having made the kind of social connections they were hoping for in the first week weeks.  Your son or daughter may be feeling homesick, overwhelmed by their courses, or still trying to figure out their relationship with their roommate.  The only advice I can suggest to parents is that it is all fairly normal right now.  So be prepared to expect a lot of changes in any direction over the first few weeks!

Fresh@News: Is there a lot happening on campus for parents and students throughout Parents Weekend?

J.J. Brown: I think our visitors will have a great time.  One of the things we try to do on this weekend is to showcase our students' talents.  From athletic events to the Parents University sessions to the Music Activities Showcase, you will  see that the Villanova community has a wealth of talent among its faculty, staff and most importantly, its students.

Fresh@News: What events would you recommend to parents of new students?

J.J. Brown: The weekend is designed so parents and family members can pick and choose from a variety of receptions, lectures, and events. Parent University Sessions offer a number of workshops where parents and family members can meet campus administrators and faculty members and learn about relevant issues that face Villanova students. Topics include: alcohol use on campus, choosing a major and helpful ways to help your student manage stress and anxiety just to name a few! Please check out the Parents' website for more details on these programs.

Fresh@News: Is Parents Weekend just for the parents?

J.J. Brown: Not at all! We invite all family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents and siblings) to participate in the weekend.

Fresh@News: What types of events are going on that you think other family members would be interested in attending?

J.J. Brown: On Friday night, we will be hosting LateNite at Villanova - Family Style! This will take place in the Connelly Center from 7:00p.m. - 10:00 p.m.. This will be a chance for family members to experience a typical weekend night at Villanova! The LateNite at Villanova program offers entertainment for students every Friday and Saturday night in the Connelly Center. We've decided to tailor this night's entertainment to the whole family! Featured will be the a capella groups from Music Activities and the movie Inside Out.  Free admission includes entertainment, soft drinks, and desserts.

On Saturday evening we are pleased to present “An Evening with Steve Harvey” at 9p.m. in the Pavilion.  This comedian and T.V. show host will visit Villanova to give a humorous talk on his life experiences.   Tickets can be purchased online at www.villanovatix.com .

Fresh@News: That sounds great. And what about for the sports enthusiasts among us? (please see information above)

J.J. Brown: There are a few athletics events to choose from on this weekend. On Friday, the womens soccer team is hosting Towson and the womens field hockey team will play Delaware.  On Saturday, the football team takes the field against James Madison at 12:30 p.m, and the mens soccer team hosts Monmouth University at 1pm. And on Sunday, the womens field hockey team will be playing St. Joseph’s. To purchase football tickets to cheer on the Wildcats, please call the Athletics Ticket Office at 610-519-4100.

Fresh@News: It sounds like the weekend is full of great events.

J.J. Brown: And I only mentioned a few, so make sure to check out the full schedule at www.parents.villanova.edu and click on “events” to see all of the other things going on throughout the weekend. Some events require registration, so please don't miss out and register now! If you have any questions, please call our office at 610.519.4210.

Fresh@News: Do you have any words of wisdom for our parents of first year students who will be experiencing Parents Weekend for the first time?

J.J. Brown: My best advice would be to try to experience as much of Villanova as you can, and to let your son or daughter show you the things that have become important to him or her. Also, remember to save a little time to just simply be with your son or daughter. They are still very much in a time of transition and it will be important for you to gauge their needs over the course of the weekend. Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy your time together!