[Fresh] FRESH@news: The Housing Selection Experience

Fresh@newsheader.jpg

In a few weeks, the Class of 2015 will begin selecting their rooms and roommates for next academic year. We've heard a lot of buzz on campus about this topic already, and have talked with Marie Schauder from Residence Life who will fill us in on the housing selection experience.

Fresh@News: Can you explain to us how the Housing Selection process works?

Ms. Schauder: In mid-March, current freshmen will receive information via email regarding the Rising Sophomore Housing Selection Process.  This information will also be posted on the Residence Life website for parents to review (www.reslife.villanova.edu). The first step will be for students to complete and submit an online Housing Application, which will be available March 19-27, 2012.   Students will be able to identify their preferred roommate and complete the housing contract when they submit their application.  Students who submit a Housing Application will then receive a housing selection date and time in early April.   At their designated time (mid-late April), students will select a hall and room assignment.

Fresh@News: What kind of issues come up at this stage of the game?

Ms. Schauder:  Finding a roommate can be an issue and this is one of the first things that students need to think about.  Sometimes students choose to stay with their current roommate or they choose to find someone else with whom they feel they may be more compatible with them.  Mostly it works out, but there are some painful moments too. Sometimes one half of a roommate team wants to stay together, and the other wants to live with someone else.  The other issue that frequently comes up regards triples.  We only have a small handful of triple rooms available in Sheehan, St. Mary’s and Alumni Halls.  Roommates who lived in a triple their freshmen year and want to stay together for their sophomore year presents a problem.  One of the three needs to find another roommate or go into the assignment process as a random.  There can be hurt feelings and awkwardness.

Fresh@News: Any thoughts or suggestions to pass along as far as finding a roommate?

Ms. Schauder:  Students should seek someone with a similar lifestyle (e.g., study habits, sleeping habits).  Usually the students start by looking at the students who live on their hall. This is a good strategy, but often it makes just as much sense to look for connections in their classes.  Looking for someone who approaches academic work in a similar fashion is often a good place to start.  Students should not pick a roommate simply because the other person has an earlier housing selection time.

Fresh@News: Suppose the student just can't find a roommate?

Ms. Schauder:  This happens more often than students think and for a variety of reasons.  Usually about 25% of the class does not pick a roommate and will choose a single room assignment or desires to be assigned a random roommate.  Students just go into the process by themselves and choose their desired room and hall assignment based on what is available at their selection times.  Their roommate will be determined by who selects the second space in the room through the selection process.  Often enough the pairs who end up together work out well and stay together in the future.

Fresh@News: What if a student desires to live in a single room?

Ms. Schauder: We are finding that each year there are significant number of students who desire single rooms. We have singles available for sophomores in Austin, Corr, St. Mary’s and St. Rita’s. The rooms vary in size. I recommend that students interested in single rooms, go to these halls to take a look at the various options available before selecting a hall and room during their selection time.

Fresh@News: So what are the most popular residence halls for the class of 2015?

Ms. Schauder: As in any real-estate operation, the three most important factors are, "location, location, and location." A lot of students want to live in the "Quad" next year. These two buildings, Sullivan and Sheehan, are on our main campus and house approximately 800 sophomore students (about half of the class).   Another popular hall is Fedigan, which was renovated three years ago and also has air conditioning.   Corr, Austin and St. Rita’s Halls are located on main campus and are popular for their single rooms.  Students looking for a single room option with air conditioning will want to select a space in St. Mary’s Hall.  St. Mary’s is located on the west campus and each room has its own sink.  St. Mary’s will house predominantly sophomores, with some juniors and seniors.  We also allow sophomore students to voluntarily “triple” in Good Counsel Hall, if they so choose.

Fresh@News:  What is the most frequent question you receive about the housing lottery and assignment process?

Ms. Schauder:  The most frequent question I receive is about requesting special consideration because the student was assigned to a “triple” or to a building on main campus (e.g., Simpson, O’Dwyer, Moriarty or Delurey) or had a challenging roommate situation.  The answer is no.  The reason is the percentage of freshmen who fall under one of these three scenarios equals over 50% of the current class.  We feel strongly that if we were to give one student experiencing these housing concerns special consideration, we would need to apply this to all.  Given the number of students impacted, doing so would remove the “special consideration” factor.

Fresh@News: What advice do you have for parents?

Ms. Schauder: Housing is an issue that has a big emotional charge for students, and a wide range of feelings can be evoked.  Students sometimes need to be encouraged to get accurate information from Residence Life before they make assumptions based on what they have heard from friends. Sometimes the things they are frustrated about can be fixed, so they need to be encouraged to talk to someone before they get too upset. Often students will talk to their parents before they have really found out exactly what is going on, and then the parents pick up the concern of the students. The first path to take is to have the student try to sort out the problem with someone on campus. If that doesn't seem to be working, we also encourage parents to call us at any time and we will do our best to assist you.  Please be patient, usually it all gets sorted out through a discussion with the student.

Also, please remember that the demand to reside in certain halls, especially Sullivan and Sheehan Halls (the “Quad”), historically exceeds the capacity of those halls. It is possible that students will not secure their first or second choice of housing, especially those with later selection times. It is important that students have thought about other housing options beyond their first or second choices.  Please encourage your son or daughter to think about multiple housing options and to have this conversation with their prospective roommate.

Parents can look at our website at www.reslife.villanova.edu, which has a lot of information about the halls and housing at Villanova, and more specific information regarding the Rising Sophomore Housing Selection Process will be posted on the website by mid-March.

*************************************************************************************************************************************** This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2015.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words:  “subscribe fresh” .  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words: “unsubscribe fresh”.  Old messages are archived on the world wide web at: http://news.villanova.edu/fresh/ .

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the  appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.