[Fresh] Final Grades

This is a posting from Fresh@News, Villanova's e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the class of 2012.  See below for information about subscribing or unsubscribing from this service.  Our last posting was about having the students home for the holidays.  But, as we all know, when the students come home for the holidays, their end of semester grades follow them shortly.  So in this posting, we ask Dr. Nancy Mott, Villanova’s Director of Learning Support Services, to walk us through some of the issues that come up.

Fresh@News: Final grades for first year students are starting to come out already on Novasis. What are some of the questions that come up about final grades?

Dr. Nancy Mott: In most cases students (and their parents) probably had a pretty good idea what to expect, and many of our first year students did very well. In a few homes, it might have been a reality check. At any event, this is an important time for all students to review their progress over the first semester.

F@N: How about in those cases where the grades really are not what either the parents or the students were expecting?

NM: It can go something like this. The student might feel that he or she has followed the same patterns that led to success in high school, but now the grades show that the student isn’t getting the same results. The parents can be pretty upset, and the household might be hearing some concerns that the social life is interfering with studying, or concerns about the discrepancy between the sacrifices the family is making to provide a high quality education and the actual grades received. The student may be feeling a lot of personal doubt and frustration. All in all, it can be an unhappy situation for everyone.

F@N: So what can you tell our readers that can help with the situation?

NM: The first thing is to avoid panic. Some freshmen do have a rocky first semester, but there are things the student can do to recover and go on to an outstanding career at Villanova. The first thing I would ask parents to do is to keep things in perspective. Part of the problem is what NPR listeners call the Garrison Keillor problem. In high school, almost all of our students were above average. But as much as we might wish it otherwise, only half of our students at Villanova can be in the top half of their class. Of course, all of our students should aspire to do well, but parents should know that college is a lot harder than high school and they should not expect the same grades, especially in the first semester.

FN: What are some of the things that can go wrong?

NM: Parents should remember that the students have just completed one of the major transitions in their lives, and have had to learn to manage their time, schedules, and personal lives without the support of the parents, counselors, coach, etc. who were there for them in high school. And as your previous interviews have mentioned, they are doing this in the face of an amazing number of distractions. So all students, even those who have done well, should look back on the first semester and try to see what the problems were and how they could have done better.

F@N: How about some strategies for success that can be useful for all students?

NM: The students need to review the past semester to see what worked and what didn’t work. Many students tell us that they had much less assigned reading in high school. In college, when the professor tells the students to read a chapter, the professor expects that chapter to be read before the class. Here again, the student needs to look ahead, and schedule time to read a longer chapter. Note taking is another skill that students need to work on. I always advise students to look back at their notes, especially in a class where they had problems. How adequate were those notes, how should they have been improved? Many of the experts suggest that a student should review the day’s notes within twenty-four hours of the class. This gives a student a great opportunity to amplify the notes before the material is forgotten, and also to discover areas for questions for the next day’s class. For some students, it is a good idea to try to translate some of the things that worked in high school into the college experience. For example, if a student had a teacher or a parent who helped critique drafts of the student’s papers, the student should now get that same support by going to the writing center. In high school, a student might have been used to paper assignments where the teacher asked for an outline on one day, a draft on another, and the final copy on a third day. So the student can replicate that by making two appointments at the writing center, one for the outline and one for the draft.

F@N: How about test taking, is that a problem?

NM: It certainly is. Many of our students are used to weekly quizzes, which they could study for the night before the test. But in college they might only have two or three tests for the whole semester, and there is a lot more material to cover, so they need to start studying much earlier. It is just like playing a sport. If you have a big game coming up you can’t start practicing and learning the plays the night before the game. It is something that requires practice and integration.

F@N: So where can our students go for help?

NM: You’ve already done some interviews on the Math Center and the Writing Center, but students should also know about Villanova’s Study Skills Counseling. This program offers regular classes on topics such as note taking, time management, and test preparation. For more information, go to the Study Skills website:

http://www.villanova.edu/studentlife/counselingcenter/services/studyskills

F@N: So what can parents do to help?

NM: I can suggest a few words of wisdom that might be useful for students. First, lots of our students don’t have a planner. It might be nice to get a student an attractive planner, or, perhaps an electronic P.D.A. Another resource that many of us have found helpful is a book called “You Are Smarter Than You Think! -- Learning Made Easier in Three Simple Steps,” by Renee Mollan-Masters. This book is based on very sound research and is geared for college students. It has some work sheets that help students identify the ways that they process information, and then explains how students can study most effectively.

F@N: I know you often give students this advice: “Make sure you go to every class, sit in the front, and take great notes, and you’ll do fine.” Are there some other simple tips you have for students?

NM: I’ve included my own top ten success strategies to this e-mail, and parents can certainly pass it along to their son or daughter. They are pasted in at the end of this e-mail and also as a separate attachment.  I know your parents have heard this from almost all of your interviewees, but I’ll repeat it myself. Parents need to be supportive and patient, especially in the first semester or two. Villanova is invested in our students, and we want them to succeed as much as you do. Most of them really do just fine, although the first months can be a bit rocky. If parents are really worried, however, and the student doesn’t seem to be making progress or even asking for help, parents may always call the Office of the Dean of the student's college (Arts and Sciences, Business, Engineering, or Nursing).

Top Ten List for College Success

#10  Set Realistic Goals

·         What are your expectations of the college classroom?

·         How do you expect it to be different?

#9    Assume Responsibility

·         HS was very structured – limits set by parents, teachers and coaches

·         College provides freedom of choice – schedules are erratic

#8    Schedule for Success

·         High School you were in class 6 hours per day, 180 days

·         College is 15 hours per week for 28 weeks

#7    Manage your time wisely

·         High School recommended 1 to 2 hours of study per day

·         College suggests 2 hours of study for 1 hour of class = 30 hours per week

#6    Use effective organization skills

·         Use 1 planner, paper or electronic, for all your school work & obligations

·         Know your best time of day to get things done

#5    Understand your learning style

·         Think about how you read, study, or take a test

·         How do you process language?  Are you an auditory, visual, or combination learner?

·         How do you organize your reading and notes?

#4    Know your strengths and weaknesses

·         What are the subjects you did well in?  Which ones gave you trouble?

·         Do you need background music to study?  Do you need to move around a lot?  Do you like examples?  Do you like studying with a group?

#3    Be a self-advocate

·         Your high school teachers took attendance, checked notebooks and homework, and reminded you about assignments.

·         In college, attendance is rarely taken, and professors give you a course syllabus that you are responsible to follow – no reminders.

·         You need to meet with your professors.  Go to office hours for extra help.  Let the professor know you are an interested student.

#2    Use the support services available

·         Learning Support Services – Kennedy Hall, 2nd floor, 610-519-5636.  Provides academic support services for students with disabilities.  This is a resource for all students concerned about their academic progress to explore their learning style and strategies.  http://www.villanova.edu/vpaa/learningsupport/

·         Study Skills Coordinator – Health Center Bldg, 1st floor, 610-519-4050.  Offers individual and group workshops in self-motivation, time management, test taking techniques, overcoming test anxiety, and improving reading comprehension.  http://www.villanova.edu/studentlife/counselingcenter/services/studyskills/index.htm

·         Writing Center – 2nd floor of Old Falvey, 610-519-4604.  Open 6 days per week by appointment or walk in to work on your writing skills.  You can bring in an assignment at any stage of the writing process for one on one tutoring.  http://www.villanova.edu/artsci/vcle/writingcenter/

·         Math Learning Resource Center – 2nd floor of Old Falvey, 610-519-5193.  Open 6 days per week by appointment or walk in to work on any math courses.  http://www.villanova.edu/artsci/mathematics/mlrc/

·         Wellness Center, Counseling Center, Campus Ministry, Career Services, International Student Services, Media Technologies and Creative Design

#1    Go to Class!

Final Reminders!

·        College will be more demanding

·        Organization is essential

·        Actively problem solve

·        Adopt a 9 to 5 full time job way of thinking

·        Communicate with professors

·        Deadlines are important!

Dr. Nancy Mott

Director, Learning Support Services

Kennedy Hall, 2nd floor

610-519-5636

nancy.mott@villanova.edu

December 1, 2008

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends

of Villanova's class of 2012.  To subscribe to this service

send an e-mail to Majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your

message should include two words:

    subscribe fresh

To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the

words:

    unsubscribe fresh

Old messages are archived on the world wide web at:

    http://news.villanova.edu/fresh/

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.